In college, it seems like we’re trying to accumulate items to fill our living space. We need a bed, of course, as well as a TV stand, nightstand and maybe a desk to do homework. Next, we purchase a mini fridge with a lock so our roommates won’t steal our food. The list goes on — we keep adding new items until we eventually have enough belongings to be comfortable.
Fast-forward 10 years and it seems like most of us are trying to do the opposite. We have too much stuff! This is especially true for Dallas-Fort Worth residents. Let’s take a look at how this happens, as well as your options for downsizing or storing items.
Reasons We Accumulate Stuff
It may seem like we wake up one day and we have too many items, but it didn’t happen overnight. It’s a gradual process that happens over time. Here are some common reasons people in Dallas-Fort Worth accumulate so much stuff:
- We get persuaded by commercials we see on TV.
- We buy items on impulse at the store.
- We receive too many gifts from friends and family.
- We have passions for certain hobbies or collectibles.
- We have a hard time getting rid of items from our childhood.
- We get into relationships with other people who also have stuff.
- We see a deal that’s too good to pass up.
These are just a few reasons among many. The good news? It’s not too late to do something about it.
Solutions for Downsizing and Decluttering
Shows like Hoarders and Tidying Up with Marie Kondo are popular for a reason. People like to be organized and clean, and these shows inspire us. So, what do you do if your number of belongings is getting out of control? There are three basic options you have when it comes to downsizing the number of items in your home:
- Sell them: With this option, you can get some extra cash while removing unneeded items. Win-win. Just don’t become too fixated on “making a profit” or you’ll hold on to things that you don’t really need.
- Donate them: There are people in need out there who can likely use many of your items, even if they aren’t in perfect shape. Consider donating items to a company like Goodwill or Salvation Army. You’ll even get a tax benefit!
- Store them: While not a long-term solution for downsizing, storing your items can help you breathe a little and give you room to process your next steps. A portable storage container can go a long way toward helping you declutter your home.
If you’re in need of a storage solution in Dallas-Fort Worth, contact SAM (Store & Move) today for a free quote.