Materials matter. Take dining room tables, for example. You can tell the difference between a table made from MDF and a table made from solid wood. The latter is more rugged, durable and high quality. Materials also matter when it comes to things like storage containers.
Some commercial storage containers are made of wood and other materials that are cost-effective and recyclable. Is this cost-cutting worth it for the consumer? Let’s look at the drawbacks of containers made from inferior materials and look at the materials you should consider for your commercial storage containers instead.
The Drawbacks of Wood Containers
Wood crating is a popular, cost-effective and eco-friendly shipping option for businesses. While usually limited to singular items (since it’s difficult to secure items inside them), these crates are easy to assemble and have a customizable size. As a natural material, wood is lightweight and affordable as well. But wood containers do have their drawbacks. Here are some of them:
- Easily damaged during transport
- Not as weather resistant as other materials
- Difficult to access once nailed shut
- Unsecure items inside the crates might be damaged
- There may be pesticides or insects in the wood
- May be expensive, depending on the quality of the wood
Storage containers, on the other hand, tend to be made from higher-quality materials like galvanized steel. Let’s take a look at the ideal materials for your commercial storage container and why they matter.
Best Storage Container Materials
Materials vary depending on the commercial storage container company you choose, so for the purposes of this article, we’ll cover the materials featured in our containers at SAM (Store & Move). Here are the different materials used in our containers, along with their benefits:
- Galvanized steel: Used in the framing of the storage container, galvanized steel provides a secure housing for the entire unit. Thanks to the galvanized coating, it is resistant to rusting and stands up to the elements. This galvanized steel framing ensures your items are safe and protected.
- Fiberglass: The translucent roof in our containers is made from fiberglass and allows light to pass through, making it easier to pack and unpack. With wood crating and other containers, it’s more difficult to see what you’re doing without a supplemental lighting source.
- Other proprietary materials: Our containers also feature smooth walls on the inside that prevent dings and scratches on your items. On the outside, these same walls protect your belongings from the outside for as long as you need the container.
If you’re interested in a commercial storage container for your business, give us a call at 972-GET-A-SAM today for a quote.